Research program including SWORD
Procedure : RAPID (DGA)
Begin : 01/02/2013
Duration : 36 mois
TACTIC (Tablette d’Assistance Contextualisée pour la Transmission des Informations de commandement) is a research program funded by the Agence Nationale de la Recherche (ANRASTRID 2012) that simplifies C2 (Command and Control) tactical systems by making them more accessible and by allowing for multimodal ergonomics, an easy-to-read interface, interoperability with C2 systems, and standardized exchanges.
This project aims to create a C2 demonstrator using a tactile tablet that is BML (Battle Management Language, which is a NATO standard) compatible and that can interact with a simulation software such as SWORD. In this project, MASA Group provides the SWORD simulation that is able to interact through BML/MSDL with a tactile C2 and interpret the received orders as missions executed in the simulation.
C2 are designed to help military command posts to manage their resources, give orders, and especially understand the tactical situation by providing a summary of known informations.
The project objectives are the following:
- Evaluate the feasibility and value of new hypotheses for the interaction using the technologies offered by touchpad
- Imagine a new C2 interface using modern and innovative concepts of interaction
The expected results mainly concern the proposal of a new mode of interaction and user interface rendering.
This project will lay the foundations for a transition from current basic C2 interface to an interface using modern technologies and incorporating user behavior to predict the sequences of commands and provide intelligent assistance that facilitates the control of complex systems.
The research that will be conducted under the TACTIC project will develop a method of interaction for easy use by operators and should therefore provoke thoughts on the following technical and scientific obstacles:
- Semantics of applying gestures on the touch interface to provide the information necessary for humansystem interaction.
- The complexity and problematic to execution
- Media size
- The contextual optimizing of the interface
The research and industrial partners are:
- LabSticc (Telecom Bretagne France) Research Partner
- LIP6 (Pierre& Marie Curie University, France) Research Partner
- Intuitive World (France) Industrial Partner
- MASA Group (Lead)
- Sizing and needs analysis
- Modeling of user behaviors and context management
- Proposal of a grammar for tactile commands
- Passage from a contextual grammar to an Abtract Interface Model
- Convergence of the Abstract Interface Model with the command grammar
- Development of a C2 protype that interacts with a simulator
- Validation and testing
- Attieh E., Brézillon P. and Capron F. (2013) Contextbased modeling of an anatomo-
cytopathology Department Workflow for Quality Control. In: P. Brézillon, P. Blackburn, and R. Dapoigny (Eds.): Modeling and Using Context (CONTEXT 2013), LNAI 8175, pp. 235247.
- Brézillon P. (2013) Contextbased development of experience bases. In: P. Brézillon, P. Blackburn, and R. Dapoigny (Eds.): Modeling and Using Context (CONTEXT 2013), LNAI 8175, pp. 87–100.
- Brézillon P. (2013) Operational workflows in Contextual Graphs : A proposal for BPM. CONTEXT13 Workshop on Context for Business Process Management (CBPM’13), Annecy, France, October 28, 2013.